One of the most popular choices in ladders for home lofts is the wooden loft ladder. Wooden loft ladders are sturdy and can fit in with any décor, because there are so many designs and finishes available.
Because of standard ceiling heights, it can be quite easy to find wooden loft ladders that will fit your space, particularly if you’re purchasing a wooden loft ladder to fold up into the ceiling with a hatch.
Ladder manufacturers make most of their ladders to fit eight and nine foot ceilings, and some are adjustable to make them work with several different ceiling heights.
Well Known Wooden Loft Ladder Resources
Even if you require a wooden loft ladder to go only part of the way to the ceiling, you may be able to find one ready made from one of these resources:
- Alaco Ladder Company – This company offers fixed loft ladders as well as those that roll, like library ladders. They offer a wide range of options that allow the customer to essentially “build” their own loft ladder, from a variety of lengths, materials and finishes. You can purchase aluminum ladders as well as wooden loft ladders.
- Attic Ladders Plus – This company specializes in loft ladders with hatches for accessing attics. Their ladders can also be used for accessing lofts, simply by installing the hatch in a wall rather than the ceiling. They also offer metal as well as wooden loft ladders. Their ladders come in a range of standard sizes. If a standard sized ladder will work in your space, buying a premade ladder set like these and installing it yourself can save you a great deal of money.
- Ladder Store – Ladder Store offers a wide range of wooden loft ladders, as well as metal ones. They carry several different manufacturers, including Scandinavian designed ladders by Lex. You’ll also find modular stairs that offer a permanent, fully functional staircase in a small amount of space.
- Calvert Stairs – Calvert is an industry leader in loft ladders for accessing attic spaces. They offer a wide range of wooden loft ladders as well as metal ladders, too.
The Custom Option
In some cases, you’ll find that you need, or simply desire, a more custom option on wooden loft ladders. There are several benefits to having a custom loft ladder made for your space:
- The ladder will fit your space perfectly
- The ladder can be made from virtually any material you choose
- The ladder can be designed with your décor in mind. Your wooden loft ladder can be made from several different types of wood, and finished in many shades or colors.
The primary disadvantage of buying a custom made wooden loft ladder is cost. In many cases, you’ll pay quite a bit more because the size or specifications for your loft ladder are outside the standard sizes made by most manufacturers.
Another disadvantage to having a custom made wooden loft ladder is that, in some areas of the country, it may be difficult to find someone to make the ladder for you. But, even if you have to go a bit out of town, it may be worth it to have a one of a kind ladder for your space.
Your loft’s ladder is an important element in your home. It’s not only a critical element of your home’s design, it’s an important safety feature, as well. When you purchase your metal or wooden loft ladder from a reputable loft ladder manufacturer, you can be assured that it will be sturdy, reliable, and attractive, and that it will fit your space perfectly.